Saturday, November 13, 2004

WTF?

Today, I read a rather bemusing and short article in The Star Online stating this:

"GOVERNMENT offices and commercial houses in Johor have been instructed to fly flags at half-mast as a sign of respect for Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, according to Berita Harian.
State Secretary Datuk Mohd Razali Mahusin said the order, made by the Sultan of Johor, was effective until Arafat's burial in Ramallah. "

After browsing through much of the Berita Harian Online edition, I still could not verify this news. But having said that, I can only comprehend this much and I thought that flying a flag at half-mast in Malaysia was only reserved for the passing of dignitaries or royals or individuals who are of Malaysian nationality. Therefore, if such is the case, why are Johor's government offices and commercial houses instructed to fly the Malaysian flag at half mast? or was it the Palestinian flag? Even that, flying a Palestinian flag in Malaysia to show respect for President Arafat? I mean, don't misunderstand me as I have plenty of respect for President Arafat and I mourn his passing with the rest of the world as I believe in his cause.

But such incident can only de-neutralise our country's stance to the so-called 'leaning states' if news as such spread. I find it rather disturbing that the Johor state can call for such 'official' stance, espcially when the order was made by the Sultan of Johor. I can't help but think that it has something to do with religion (correct me if I am wrong); especially when in times like these, the mention of religion as a sensitive issue can cause outrage as has been clearly demonstrated by what is happening around the world. Even if it's politically motivated, do you think it's right that such actions should be called for? I don't think so although I do agree that the Middle-East crisis should be on every nation's agenda for the forthcoming decade or so.

No comments: