Monday, December 04, 2006

Week VI: Day I

Week VI has begun. As mentioned on my previous post, I hate Mondays. Not that I dont back in Malaysia, but in a way, its different. There, I cant wait for Mondays to come. Here, I long for longer Saturdays nights. Reiterated many many times, its knowing that its a holiday and you are working volunteerily and knowing its a compulsory day for work that makes the difference. Either way, I cant get my head around it. I am still feeling f**ed when it nears weekends. Anyway, lets move on. Some pixies to share:

Chicken Chow Mien: Mind you, the plate is quite big in size. I shared this with Aszman. This dish will set you back about Rs 120 (approximately MYR 7.80)



Sui Gao: There is this whole plate of huge dumplings, about 30 of them, and all this, at a cost of about Rs 180 (approximately MYR 11.70) but it is really filling. In fact, 20 of them is enough to fill 2 hungry stomachs. It took me and Aszman an hour to finish 30 of them, that also was to keep stuffing them in because we ordered too much. We thought it was smaller in size.



Inside the project office: This is where I sit and also where the Civil Works Team are. I dont know why I have been allocated a place here because really, I belong to TSD which manages telecom equipments, not Civil Works. The logic of putting me here is because the Project Directors thinks I am more suited here because of my construction background and that I can assist in the event of such need. This is the first war room interface as you enter this bungalow. The second war room interface is on the first floor where all the network planning and radio control ppl sits.




Me: Here's me trying to emulate JD in his favorite pose. Nope, not Jack Daniels but James Dean. But nope, I am not any of them. The picture is sized smaller than usual because you know why. Brandishing a gun in this fashion could have WMI [Wrong Media Interpretation]



Me 2: Its me again in a crudely erected tiny shelter made out of badly plastered and laid bricks. Notice there's a heater by the side because its extremely cold and there I was, trying to mimic a guerilla in a hideout somewhere in the middle of a desert or deserted town. Sitted beside me is the Chief Warlord (hahaha, he's the security guard, doesnt look much like a guerilla because of the bright colored jacket he wore)




Double Whammy: Execution Style. Caught under-performing in the project. Reporting live from the project office.


Well, Monday is almost ending now. Office's out. Its time to actually pack and leave. To be honest, sometimes its impossible to work in this not-so-conducive environment because ONE, its cold, the heating is not enough, SECONDLY, its a war room more meant for engineers and civil ppl running around screwing other ppl and getting screwed. THIRD, I am not from Civil Dept!! Well, there is always anyways at the end. Its still a job wherever you sit. Chao for now... more shitbricks tomorrow.

Btw, today was filled with events of sorts. My engineer and I was sarcastically grilled by the customers on the set of drawings we produced before him. It was one of them days. To turn the tide so that I dont feel f**ed up for the entire day, I in turn ended up screwing a subcontractor today for the really pathetic and shitty work they gave me. In fact, I screwed them on Saturday, they replied saying that I was threatening them with work eviction and unprofessionalism, I gladly told them, you want respect, you earn it! You dont demand for respect by telling me your consortium and consultancy is the leading and the best in the country. You dont demand for respect and professionalism when your engineers and draughtsmen graduating from all over the world are producing sub standard and pathetic drawings.. Not on my count or time! Show me professionalism and quality work and I will give you due respect. Today, the director called me and we had a meeting at the project office. In the meeting, they were more than apologetic and admitted their wrong doings. To be honest, I was expecting some resistance. Anyhow, I told them to buck up, give me a committed timeline or date for submission. They gave me one... on Wednesday. We shall see. Another round of headache, is what I expect.

Cheerio now. Ciao...

No comments: