Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Happy CNY : Life in Philippines

Last year this time, I had just come back from Pakistan and this year around, from Philippines. Still, it felt like yesterday once more. Chinese New Year is still the same... but I am thankful to be back for the big reunion. Its a wonderful thing.

GONG XI FATT CHAI!!


********************************************************************************


Ever wondered what I do in Philippines? To be honest, so far, most people I know thinks that its a pretty much relaxing office job I am having there. Ok, let me break it down to you... which I think, is the best job in the world... the thrills, passion and the challenge which is always there!


We have to submit to all modes of transportation including the one you are seeing here which is a makeshift train going to one of the sites about 1km away from the main road.





Life in a bed of roses?... think again... muddy sites and landslides greets me every single time.. not to mention getting sucked in those yucky slimey mud pools and best part is when, you have to trudge almost 100m on these conditions to get to your site.





A standard cell site and how it looks like after excavation, 30 days before final completion of site. These are the conditions that I, my engineers and the laborers have to endure.




To be honest, this is just part of it... sometimes, cell sites are located 1km into the paddy fields, or in the remotest of jungles, or up in the mountains or hills surrounded by rebels, plus the uncanny weather of frequent typhoons that can sweep you away in no time. However, I love the job. This is my passion and my adventure. How many jobs in the world can fill this criteria? How many people are susceptible to these conditions. I am not talking about a 9-5 office job. These are 12 hours or round the clock job. To be as the Regional Project Manager, this is the challenge I am partaking in... its not so much of the money... its about testing my limits and I am glad, I am given this chance.

Not only that, how often can you get the experience of seeing things you will never ever know or seen before just like the picture below? I call this my Alien Farm... it looks like some terrestrial alien has landed on this part of the world...

Now, take a guess what are these that you see below....


In fact, these are personalized chicken houses for those cock fights... meaning, they are more like the VIP accommodation for those cock that goes into the ring. Btw, cock fighting is more or less legal. The materials that makes these 'special lodging' are....... car tyres! How ingenious! Looks cute aint it?



Well, apart from all those, we too have the sights and sounds of BICOL such like below.

Power Grid amidst the paddy fields during late sunset... it can be very mellowish at times with the smog forming in the background.

OR

The extremely melancholic satisfaction at the end of the day when you know you have survived another day of mental slaughter, baked in the sun for a good half day, shouting and debating with the contractors and management.

I love my job and the package of adventure and passion that comes with it. However, its not all fairy taley we are talking about... its tough and it will break you, it will throw you into a mental doldrum where all hell breaks loose... but still, and yet, its the job after all that I have fallen in love with...

Its hard to avert the things that you fall in love with... its hard... believe me...

No comments: