Sunday, September 24, 2006

Incredulous India: Day VI - Day XIV

Initially, it was supposed to be a daily update thingy, but due to time restrain, I will duly summarize it all here. Speaking of India, it has been an eye opener. If every thought counted for a posting, there would be tens of postings. India is just so huge, so overly populated, so rich in content yet, words are hard to come by. I was in an awe and lost for words. Its either you love it, OR hate it. Its more like a love hate relationship. Here goes...

Scenario #I:

Me: I cant wait to see Delhi!... it must be huge
Cab: Yes Sir...
[after 10 minutes]
Me: I wonder when are we reaching...
Cab: Yes Sir...
Me: 0_o .... Huh? I mean, when are we reaching Delhi?
Cab: Yes Sir... passed.
Me: How do you mean? I mean, are we there yet or is this it?
Cab: Yes Sir... Already.
Me: Where?
Cab: Here....
Me: How?
Cab: Here.
Me: What?
Cab: Yes Sir...
....*imagine Penang in its hey days... the post war shoplots, difference is, its shared by at least 3 shop entities, congested streets, 2 way lane shared by buses, autos (Motor taxis), cars, 4W's, bicycles, more like a freeway traffic in the city, no rules, only bounded by instinct and careful driving.*
Me: *in an awe* ... *mouth wide opened*... OooOoooKkkk (the longest Ok for me so far) ....

*eyes wandering around*... *wishful thinking*... *begin spacing out a bit... double spacing*.... *triple spacing*....

Cab: Sir? Sir???
Me: Yeah... *suddenly jolted by the awakening of reality*... Yes?...

*a sense of reconnaisance swept past me, frantically searching for a question or answer as if there was a wave of destruction heading towards me... there was a moment of panic*

Cab: Where do you want to go Sir?
Me: Errr..take me to the nearest tourist spot from here.
*Initially, I wanted to be in Delhi city centre to walk about and feel the Indian metropolitan like how I did for other metros but...*

Cab: I will take you to India Gate *with much anticipation*
Me: Would that be something like Champ De Mars or Champ Elysees?
Cab: Sir?
*Ooopss*

Me: ... nah, forget it. India Gate it is!
[Yes, India gate is something like the arch in Marble Arch or the Independence Monument in Champ Elysees where they commemorate independence by building this huge touristic arch in a rather symmetrical street]

Scenario #2:
...1st Day@Office...

Me: Evening Nisha (a secretary in HW India )
Nisha: Mr Raymond Sir... (yes, they are very courteous people, they usually end the name with a 'Sir', for men).... you have been assigned 'Qualis' for the next 2 weeks of your stay. And the car number plate is 2822.
Me: Oh... that's very nice of you... thank you so much.

* 2 hours on..., as I was walking out of the office compound to look for my car after a long day at work, and I saw this guy leaning against a 4W bearing the number plate 2822*

Me: Hmmmpphh... you must be Qualis.
Driver: Yes Sir. Guesthouse?
Me: Yes. Do you know where is it?
Driver: Yes Sir. Windsor Castle, DLF II, Sector 29
Me: errrr... yeah... Windsor Castle.
Driver: Ok Sir.

*hopped onto the car, Bhangra and Hindi music started playing... it was a bit annoying at first. I figured as much that it was better for me to start talking so that he can turn the music down.*
** After much chatting on Qualis this and that, we finally reached Windsor Castle... *

Me: So, Qualis, what time are you going to be here tomorrow?
Driver: What time you want Sir?
Me: Hmmphh... 830am, Qualis. btw, can I have your mobile number as well?
Driver: Yes Sir. Its +9198....
Me: Good. I will see you tomorrow then. Goodnite.

*..The morning after... at 845am???...*

Me: ..*tut tut...tut tut....* Hello, Qualis?
Driver: No.
Me: 0_o Huh???? Is this Qualis? or may I speak to Qualis?
Driver: No. Qualis... No...
Me: Who is this on the line then? I mean, who's speaking?
Driver: I am Mr Raj Kumar, Sir.
*Not to waste further time... whoever that is... *
Me: Are you coming to Windsor Castle?
Driver: Yes Sir. Coming now. Sorry. Late.
Me: No worries. I am waiting now at the gate.

*5 minutes later, the 4W arrived*

Me: Morning Raj... where's Qualis? (but I felt strange coz I thought he was the same guy last night)
Driver: Here Sir.
Me: (as I opened the passenger seat by the driver's and was about to hop on in, I noticed something written on the side of the 4W just like any other car, it was the SUV's name... there, it was written "TOYOTA QUALIS")
Me: ................ Errr... (adjusting my specs to get a second glance)... ($%@#!##)... (got onto the 4W)... Errrr... Qualis?
Driver: Yes Sir.
Me: Raj Kumar?
Driver: Yes Sir.

*Dumbfounded...Darn!!! all this while... and I thought he was .... and.... spaced out...*

Scenario #3

*...visiting Taj Mahal was indeed not very much a dream come true but more of a Wonder come true... I was in a tour with a group of other working professionals from all around the world...*

Me: Hi... I am Raymond. And...
Jordanian Guy: Hi... I am *Bono... working in Washington DC with the World Bank. You?
Me: I am with Huawei, errr... (glancing at his perplexed look), errr.... its a Telecom company. I am a PM. You must be an economist. Wow...
JG: nah... just a normal worker. Where are you based?
Me: I am from Malaysia. My office's there as well.

*This time around, more people came by and introduced themselves...*

Jacklyn: Heya... I am from London, originally from Liverpool, I am a designer...
Me: Well... that explains... hahaha... textile is big in India...
Jacklyn: Yeah... hey... you sound... (like she found something similar to home and was glad)
Me: err.. you mean the accent?
Jacklyn: yeeeaaa....hhhhh...
Me: I was in Liverpool for 7 years... more like an adopted Scouser and proud to be one! hehehe... I mean, of all places... I get to meet a fellow Scouser in Taj Mahal... unbelievable!!!
Jacklyn: *hands on chest + panting*... seriously... this is great! I've gotta tell me mom about this...
Me: hahaha...
Fernando: Hi... I am from Spain. I work for the UNHCR and is based in NY.
Me: Wow... one hell of a job you have there..
Jacklyn: yea...
JG: So, so, guys... you all crashing at Delhi tonight?
Jacklyn: yeah... I am staying at Radisson SAS
Fernando: I am at ShangRila
JG: hey... that's somewhere near mine. I am Hyatt Regency... What about you Ray?
Me: 0_o.... Errrrr.... Gurgaon.
Jacklyn: Errr.. Where is that?
Me: Its some Tech-City on the outskirts of Delhi
JG: yeah... yeah... they have Radisson SAS there as well...
Me: Errr... no, my company has their own accomodation. I stay in a bungalow.
Jacklyn: That's cool... it must be affiliated to Le Meridien because I heard they have this concept for expats. Its much more fun and cooler.
Me: 0_o.... *I wished* *spacing out*... hey, isnt that our tour guide... I think he's leaving now...

*... talk about mingling with the big players... and mine was just a guesthouse!...aaiii*

So much for my India Trip experience for now. There's so much more... however, dont think I will be able to relate them all here. I have just been posted to Pakistan... this time, it's for real. 6 months it is! Adieu... and Welcome PAKISTAN!! Yeayyy.... NOT!

1 comment:

.anna.begins. said...

*grin*
incredible india huh?

pakistan: may just be a blessing in disguise. you can turn it to the 3%! or open an ice-cream parlour. heh.