Saturday, November 18, 2006

Week IV: Let's get into the Groove

As promised, some pictures during my last three weeks in Pakistan. Its kinda tough trying to upload these pictures because the connection at home is super slow (not that it is dial up but a 10Mb speed really didnt help in uploading all them pixies and also partially because Pakistan had imposed a ban on blogspotters.) Anyway, here they are.


Jinnah International Airport, Karachi: (L) I was only there for a short while while waiting for my next flight out which was delayed. Doesnt look too much of an airport from the outside ey? This picture was taken inside McDs, just right opposite the airport. Err... not too wise to venture outside... to them, I am an alien. (R) Inside the Airport



My Guesthouse [Awari Lodge]: Enlarge the check in card on the left and see points number #3, #7 and #10. Apart from that, the guesthouse is pretty cool. The pic on the right was taken right in front of the guesthouse, a small little garden surrounded by pine trees.






My Room: Aint it nice? Inside, there is a tv, a comfie sofa + a coffee table right in front of the tv, my queen bed, a dressing table, a mini bar, and en suite washroom. Its is more spacious than a hotel room definitely.





Huawei Offices: (L) Huawei Technologies Pakistan, Saudi Pak Tower. Huawei shares the same building as the United Nations (UN). All UN sub entities are located here. (R) UFONE project office, and this is where I am situated. Its a bungalow which extends right to the back. Its not small, lets just put it this way.





Autumn's here: Trees alligned outside the project office. Isn't it beautiful?





Pic (L): Just right outside the office, I took this rather unassuming picture of a barren tree from far, from the top of the bungalow, autumn's here, the leaves have all fallen, and the backdrop with the moon eerily reminds me of the days that would be ahead for me.
Pic (R): My project car that I am sharing with another 2 PM's. Its a Toyota Corolla.






Chinese Food Plaza: (L)(from l-r: Me, Aszman and Lim) Having a meal on a Friday night, or was it Saturday? ... after a long days' work with some beers to chill.
(R) Some Mongolian Squid cooked in a hot pot and some Green Pepper Chicken
(Middle) Aahh... my staple diet... the good ol' Chicken Fried Rice take away... on most days that is.




City Scenes: (L) The more famous ice cream parlours located all over the city. This one's more highlighted in a way. Since alcohol is illegal in the Pakistan, this is the only form of entertainment more likely... havent tried them yet but the locals refer their ice creams as the Gelato's of the East. Errr...
(R) In the city itself. More coordinated than other cities as it was well planned by Greek architects. As seen there on the signboards along Islamabad Highway (as referred to by the locals), Pak Sect is one of the sectors in the city (more like Putrajaya's precinct), Zero Point refers to the first point or location that Islamabad was first constructed. Airport is airport, F-9 Park is another sector in this city...




Me: (L) Me on a Saturday surprise site visit to our contractors on one of the sites outside Islamabad. And yes, it was chilly alright! Felt like the past. This site was preparing for tower erection, as you can see, there are 4 excavated space ready for concrete pouring.
(R) Righttttt... errr.... guess the picture explains itself. Dont mess with me! hahaha... I am holding a pumpgun. Dont be surprised, all security guards in Pakistan have these cool 'gadgets'.




Barbed Pakistan: Well, guess this picture depicts my life in Pakistan... life ahead of me. hahaha... just messing. I am having a blast here! hahaha




Notice: Lastly, one funny notice from HW Pakistan... the Chinese style! Can you get a load of this??? I couldnt believe my eyes!!



On the lighter side: I just cant... or rather, wont be able to understand Malaysian politics. Rafidah and Hishamuddin... what can I say about you? Why all the bickering?
If someone were to tell you there's something wrong somewhere with your goodself, you take this opinion or criticism in and analyse it. Not just shove it up your own a** and say that they are not Malaysians and they dont understand. In fact, I truly agree with the Australian fella and he painted quite a true picture of Malaysian politics.

“What do we care? Obviously, this person doesn’t know Malaysia. He is an outsider and he can say what he likes. I don’t really care about what others say – as long as it is not a Malaysian saying it,” she said.

My say, get a load of yourself. I think almost 60% of Malaysians would agree with the writer's disposition on the current situation in Malaysia. Why isnt Malaysia progressing? Why are we so concerned about the aesthetics of perception than advancement? Seriously, do you think the world cares if Malaysia becomes the first country to play 'congkak' in space? What's the point? are we defying science? Are we making a breakthrough in science by telling everyone we are playing balls in space? I am sure a lot of Malaysians think this is a whole load of bollocks, just that, most of us have better things to do than to play with stupid politics.


And... Hishamuddin, stop the bickering. Grow up! I have heard so much about UMNO Youths and their what is and what nots... demanding for apologies to this and that, these are just small issues and this is exactly what the writer is talking about!! Why cant you preserve your energy for something even better... something useful to the Malaysian public?? Write to me if you still cant figure it out. I will tell you!!


Seriously, honestly, I am perplexed at the Malaysian politics. Absolutely petrified and disappointed. Petrified because really, its drowning my country. Disappointed, because its my beloved country. Trifle issues such as those mentioned above, the conversion of faith, the rumor mongers, chaos creators, the NEP issue, the economic proportions, ... why are we sucked into all these issues??? I really dont understand. Why are these minorities so bent on creating segregation? Why are these people so focused on who's who and what? Why cant they come together as Malaysians, strive forward and be someone somewhere?


Why hasnt our government yet to figure out why are our Malaysians abroad not coming back? It was a hot topic a while ago. What happened? Really, why? Has the government asked themselves this question? With all these happening, do you think they are crazy enough to come back and support the nation's cry for development and advancement? Tell me.


Thank you Michael Backman.

No comments: