Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Satisfaction Lies in the Effort

Tell me, what do you do…. when after an arduous 2 hour journey through rough trunk roads, you get a phone call that the destination you are going to have been hit by a bomb blast 100m away from the site you are visiting?

Exactly…! I proceeded… because today was the ground breaking ceremony of an MSC building in Peshawar and after months of much debacle, piling works can finally start. I wasn’t going to miss out on this as a PM… in fact, I shouldn’t.

I got up at 7am and started my journey… reached at approximately 930am. It’s almost 5am now and I have just got home. It has been a freaking 22 hr rotation day for me.

Obviously, on first news that the bomb blast happened, I was a bit skeptical, but what can I do? I have done almost 75% of my journey there, I couldn’t turn back. Hence, I proceeded. After one hour on the site, I felt another tremor. It was the second blast of the day. I was stunned. Within 10 minutes, I heard sirens. It felt very close. Surprisingly, no one on site was bothered as much as I did. I asked the site supervisor, he told me that it was common. Probably once or twice a month. I was dumbfounded for a sec and soon, I sort of got used to that idea… in fact, I had to. There is no other way… Work continues. It could seem to be a surreal scene from Iraq, believe me, it does, but this is not Iraq. Its Pakistan after all we are talking about here. Life moves on. Thank GOD... again.

At 3am, after continuous pile motions and non-stop civil activities, the job was done. I am proud to have initiated and completed my first pile for this Media Gateway. Another 67 more piles to go! Hahahaha…. Nites everyone!... time for Indo Mee now… another 2hours of sleep, and I am back on again… to meetings with UFONE…. Life? Tell me about it…

No comments: