Sunday, August 26, 2007

Philippines 6th Week

It’s been a touch n go week. There has been just too many issues cropping up here and there at work that frustrates you all the time. No comments.

*****

I finished work on Friday night at about 11pm when the secretaries were celebrating a birthday of another. They persuaded and so I went. I was in the car going there, as usual, trying to catch up on lost time by checking my PDA for messages which I might have left out when one secretary told me bluntly, Sir, I don’t think you will get a girlfriend. I paused for a moment, looked at her, and asked why. She said, can you just for one second put away your phone, relax and look at life a bit? Doesn’t you wife or gf back home complain about this? don’t you think there’s more life to work than just work? I wanted to snap back by telling them off that maybe some of their people are not working and that’s why, I have to trigger them all the time by sending notices and memos out… but I stopped short of doing that.

In fact, she had a point there and I was baffled. Ever since I came here, I have not indulged myself in any other social life apart from work. I put my phone aside, looked out, and pondered… is there life for me out there? She repeated one more time, Sir Raymond, spend more social time, all of us secretaries are beginning to tag you as a walking communicator. They even tagged me as Nemo.. don’t ask me why, and they are always telling me there is this new project they are working on apart from the one I am handling, the project title is ‘Finding Nemo’. I asked why… she said, when you are at work, you are so focused that we find it hard to even talk to you because it’s either you are in a meeting, on the phone or too scary to approach when you are preparing reports, sms-ing, etc. Hence, ‘Finding Nemo’ is an appropriate project considering the fact that even though I am physically there, I am not submerged in any other domain except work.

Again, I was dumbfounded. And so, I turned off my phone completely…. But it was short lived as I turned it back on after 5 minutes. Guess it takes a lot more than just a pep talk to tell me to stop and relax. By the way, they tried snatching my phone away from me… I was totally harassed by 5 secretaries in the car! Hahahahah….

*****

REST DAY tomorrow. Today I went to the site, I switched off my phone for the entire journey there (2 hours) and as soon as I switched it back on, I had 20 sms-es and 15 seconds thereafter, calls started trickling in calling for SOS. I am tired.

*****

It’s the long weekend ahead. Hope to recharge before fire fighting again next week.

Ciaoz…

No comments: