Sunday, August 19, 2007

Philippines 5th Week

You know, when we drive to work every morning, we get the occasional off-tune days when the music on the radio isn’t that good. In Malaysia, there’s just too much conversation and ads that sometimes, you cant help but just to pop your CD in at times. Here in the Philippines, I have never once complained and the radio stations have never let me down, be it day or night, during my ‘off’ and ‘on’ days. It just seems as though they can read my mood and it has so far worked to perfection… from the 80s to the 90s, its all good. Its so good that sometimes, it gets a bit nostalgic and flashbacks are aplenty.

*****

It’s Sunday today. The long weekend is here and yet, it’s a 24/7 routine at work. Tomorrow is not just a holiday in Makati, but its also 10 more days to the month end where another 30 more sites is needed to be rolled out, meaning, we can ultimately deduct one day due to the holidays, leaving me with only 9 complete days to bring up all the sites; an average of 3 sites per day. Wish me luck.

*****

Typhoon in Philippines has arrived. So far, over the last two weeks, 2 different typhoons hit the coastal and inland areas. There was flood everywhere. The only difference between Bolehland and here is that, the gusts here are much stronger and it really blows you off. You see, to us Malaysians, our country are free from all natural disasters, making it one of the safest countries to live in. We don’t experience volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, typhoons/hurricanes… (only flood), hence, we don’t know what does it feel or sound like being at the center of an earthquake, typhoon, or even a bomb blast. All my colleagues have experienced different scenarios; air raids/bombings (Sri Lanka), military coup (Thailand), bomb blast (myself in Pakistan), earthquakes and after shocks (Pakistan and Indonesia), typhoon (Philippines); riots (Indonesia and Pakistan), volcano eruption (Philippines)…. And here were we last night at my place, together with Ajitpal and David, we were sharing experiences and we got to know that we have actually experienced some of it and wondered to ourselves, wow… what for? But on the other hand, it was kinda amazing. It’s not as though you get that everyday, it would probably be a once in a lifetime thingy.

I have personally experienced bomb blast, after shocks, and now, typhoon. Hmmpph… think I am ready to go into journalism as I have always wished!

*****

It’s funny how courtesy and politeness are being taught in different countries. In Indonesia, ppl address you not by your name first but with Pak, in Pakistan, they end it with Bhai (as in brother) or Sb (pronounced as Sab - meaning, Sir), and in the Philippines, they address you as Sir/ Ma’am followed by your first name. Even when you walk into any establishment, say, a mini mart or 7-Eleven, they welcome you with politeness and a smile, and they actually yell it out to make you feel welcomed. In Malaysia, its either you take it or leave it. People don’t bother anymore. That’s why when I first got here, I was a bit ‘shy’ to recognize myself being designated a ‘Sir’ because as far as I am concerned, in the UK, those are knighthoods bestowed by the Queen. I myself find it hard to address people as Sir. In fact, I am learning now and sometimes I do forget.

*****

No news on Pakistan… and that my friend, is good news.

*****

Time to rest. My mind needs a break.

No comments: