Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Philippines Earthquake

Well, guess what, this is like a trophy cabinet of “Been there, done that” on the Hazards Category.

Yeap… have been through rallies in Pakistan, curfews due to minor gun fights in Pakistan, aftershocks in Pakistan, Bomb blast (suicide bombers) in Pakistan and now, adding to that list is earthquake in the Philippines. Not too bad ey… not that you would pay to experience these events but hey, I was there. Nothing to be proud of but, yeah… I was there.

Ever wondered how it feels like? Try this, spin yourself around in about 20 circles, then stop. Yeap…. That was how it felt like, your whole world spins around you.

I thought I had a migraine attack as my head was spinning violently. Then my toiletries started to fall off from the washroom, stood up, lost my balance a bit, and heard people started to leave their rooms. I opened the door, saw my two engineers (who stays opposite my room in a semi naked posture) staring right back at me, we smiled and calmly walked downstairs where there was already a bunch of people in their PJ’s all describing that 7 second horror.

To be honest, that 7 seconds was horrible and scary.

*click on all pictures to enlarge


And little did I know too that based on the statistics above, earthquakes are happening every hour and every day in the world, some as high as 5-6 on the Richter Scale. Isn't it just amazing?

And look where was I when it happened...


If you take a look at the first chart, it says 187km from Catanduanes (I have sites there), an island located about 80km from where I am staying, meaning, I was approximately 267km from the epicenter. No wonder I felt it most compared to those staying about 600km away in Manila.

Its kinda cool that this is something I can tell my grandchildren about when I get old... apart from that, so far so good.

2 comments:

agnes said...

Ray : feel like to post a song for you , here you go . Suddenly like fly back to Liverpool's Albert Street , miss you . Not sure when to meet you again , but let me wish you "Happy St.Patrick Day" , enjoy your own guinness by your own and sing "Dont Know why" alone.
Ciao

Dont know why

i waited 'til i saw the sun
i don't know why i didn't come
i left you by the house of fun
i don't know why i didn't come
i don't know why i didn't come

when i saw the break of day
i wished that i could fly away
instead of kneeling in the sand
catching teardrops in my hand

my heart is drenched in wine
but you'll be on my mind
forever

out across the endless sea
i would die in ecstasy
but i'll be a bag of bones
driving down the road along

my heart is drenched in wine
but you'll be on my mind
forever

something has to make you run
i don't know why i didn't come
i feel as empty as a drum
i don't know why i didn't come
i don't know why i didn't come
i don't know why i didn't come

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.