Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sinful Saturday Night: The Morning After


Its the first time I am blogging on a Sunday... nothing special abt it but yes, its my first. And there's something interesting... never knew Garfield is 27 today! I still remember reading his section in the papers everyday in the past and I use to be at awe in his ability to gobble up anything he can find. I grew so fond of his laziness and cunningness that eventually, he was my number one comic hero (I know he isnt any Marvel superhero!) but hey... he was cool and during art lessons, I loved sketching and drawing him out in all sorts of poses that I can imagine, in tux, as a pilot, fireman, football star, etc.. (basically all that I aspire to become)... he was simply my hero then. Now that I look back, it has been almost 18 years now since he existed in my life. How time flies.

Anyways, this weekend also holds many 'firsts' for me after a long long time. Last nite, I had a brief reunion with the most unhygienic food of all time.... the 'Lok-Lok'! There are only I think 2 of these stalls in Ipoh (which I know of...there could be more); one in Ipoh Gdn South (which I also presume is the longest serving Lok-Lok in the community ever since them hey days) and another in Ipoh Gdn East. I knew it was sinful to even think about what they were offering but I couldnt resist it. I was actually waiting for this car to get out so that I could park my car, and thanks to the over time-generous-couple-cuddling-kissing-in-the-car, they were actually really taking their time... but thanks to the 'Lok- Lok', I actually managed to control myself from going berserk... but that's also where I've sinned Father. I wound down the car windows and saw plates and plates of tastefully decorated skewers of fish balls, livers, crabsticks, etc.... and people (including a few ang mohs) were actually savouring these sinful 'delicacies' with enormous appetite and I was actually drawn into their laughter and moment of joy (in slow-mo) as they enjoyed every skewer they could grab. That was it... that was it... I told myself as my friend and I got down from the car (without even parking) and grabbed a few sticks, dumping them into the boiling soup. The aroma was too tempting... the stakes were high but we didnt care. As we shoved each skewer into our mouth, there was this satisfaction beyond imagination... it was 12 years in the waiting because the last I had it was in 93'... and I never had a chance to taste it again because I was advised not to.
Finally after about 20 skewers or so, we paid up and left the premise feeling so satisfied and nostalgic about the whole damn thing! One part of me was...man.... when was the last I had a chance to do whatever I wanted! In actual fact, not many can achieve this and if we ask ourselves properly, the probable answer would be a blank stare at nothing and a big sigh. Anyway, we went off to our next stop and that was when the 'sinful act' began to sink in. We were still trying to deny our wrong-doings but not our stomach. We began to feel uncomfie, a blank stare at each other, a quiet moment and yes!.... we agreed in silence that the after effects were beginning to get the better of our satisfaction. Lesson learned? Definitely! Moral of the story?... Do not disregard other people's kind advice. 'Lok-Lok' is SINFUL yet sumptuous, unhealthy yet tempting. For me, that'll be the last I'll ever have it. This morning, I had a brief recollection of the events and moments that took place last nite... It was absolutely horrendous.

1. Apart from our own few skewers in the boiling water... there were other skewers in there as well which meant that other ppl were also using that particular pot, which also meant that it was a continuous process that the water wasnt or hasnt been changed for a long time.

2. There was this particular moment of this chap that took his skewer out, took a bite and thought to himself... oh... it isnt cooked yet! The fish balls or pig vein balls (translate into cantonese) were half bitten, and was subsequently dumped back into the water together with the rest of the skewers to be cooked again. Urrrghhh!

3. Everyone was dipping their sticks into the same pot of satay and chilli sauce (I need not elaborate on this).

4. The man who was preparing the skewers wasnt wearing any gloves... and in between the intervals of shoving meat into those skewers, he had to perform a multitude of tasks including counting the skewers of those who finished, handling of money, talking on the phone, wiping sweat off his forehead, etc etc.

5. Someone actually sneezed without covering their mouth albeit not towards the stall but.... (I need not elaborate on that too).

Therefore, after experiencing the never-again situation last nite, I'll take every precaution not to go near it or even be tempted to look at it again. This applies to all other sinful acts as well. My advice..Be strong! Always stand on your moral grounds!


And yes... I have frequented the loo over the past few hours, it hasnt stopped and dont think it'll be that soon.
Let this be a lesson. Till I blog next, might put up some pictures of Chamonix Ski Resort. I am working on it. Ta'

p/s: I forgot to take some pics of this sinful 'lok-lok', so, hope you guys know what I mean.

No comments: