Saturday, April 21, 2007

Have A Nice Weekend...?

Actually, I despise it when people tell me… have a nice weekend… yeah right… what can I do in Pakistan? What on earth can I ever do here? Hike K2?

I mean, yeah fine… under normal circumstances in Pakistan, weekends are left to be weekends and you’ve got like 2 days off on Saturday and Sunday… you can walk around markets trying to shop for something… but in UFONE project where I am and what I am doing, there are no weekends. Saturday is a normal working day and Sunday… well, Sunday, makes me sad to say this but yes… I am at office as well. WHY…? You might ask? I am only here for 90 days and 90 days only. There is just so much to do with so little time. 90 days is not enough. There are five G+5 buildings for me to construct, 36 BSCs for me to manage… tens of people with an unfortunately-sad-to-say, ‘I don’t know’ attitude…. How to have a nice weekend?

In KL, Malaysia where I come from, I would have loved to hear those words. In fact, Wednesday onwards, I will be all geared up for Friday already. It does not mean that I don’t like my job but it’s a part of life… life in KL has evolved so much that it comes with it. Reminds me of those good times in the UK where people say, have a nice weekend and we really mean it. Holidays at every other weekend, weekend flights to Paris etc.

In Pakistan, dream on. People might look at it as… wow… you are really taking in the dough huh? …. Yeah rite… I wished I was… in fact I am. but where is the life? In this project, expectations will bring you misery. Therefore, a robotic response would see you through… as in, just work. It changed me a lot after being assigned to this project. I had no life here. When I returned to Malaysia, I was happy as hell… I was totally overjoyed… partying almost every night but I know I was over doing it. I know something had to change… I didn’t want to lose anything anymore. I know I was a changed man. I don’t want the project to change me anymore. I apologize to some whom I might have offended during this course of time… I know I did but I couldn’t help it. It was a difficult time. Now that I am back here, I am fearing that a relapse could happen. I am trying my best not to. No, I don’t wanna go insane and I don’t want to lose anything… I don’t want to lose you. Please help me to maintain my sanity.

No comments: