Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Pakistani Woes...

Pakistan oh Pakistan…

I must say, its really an eye opener working with them. I had a lengthy discussion with a fellow colleague and we almost came to a similar conclusion… and its no wonder this country is still lacking far behind… at least 20 years back of Malaysia. To catch up? Yes… they can, but some serious mindsets needs to be changed. That’s for sure… yet, this certainty comes with no guarantee.

Most people that I am working with now have this attitude problem…. No, not with me but with the world. They tend to sit around and wait. For instance:

Me: IA, what about the issue in GJW BSC?
IA: Oh… that issue, I have already sent an email to the respective persons.
Me: Issue resolved now?
IA: I don’t know… I am still waiting for their reply…
Me: Huh???? *this guy will sit there for an entire day and will not know that the respective persons were on leave* why can’t you call them?
IA: Oh… Ok.
Me: Oh Ok????? is that it? that’s all you can tell me? you are a PM and you have sitted your ass on the chair for an hour and that’s the best answer you can produce for me??? for crying out fucking loud… don’t you think you can do better than that? you know it and I know it that it is almost improbable you will get any answer by sitting there!! Don’t you feel the need to know something instead of “I don’t know”????
IA: Ok. I will get on it.


Bottomline is, once is ok, twice is ok… but I feel as though my job as a PM is to educate another fellow PM on what he should be doing??!@#!? Don’t you think that’s a bit of a time waster? Why cant these people take the initiative to do something about it. don’t they feel the need to be certain? I have not only encountered this in this case but also for many many many other cases.


Have you been into TNT or DHL to send an express parcel that took almost 35 minutes?? It is supposed to be the most efficient postal company in the world and yet, to process some documents, they take 35 minutes!!


Next… there was a power shutdown in the office since morning, when I asked the guard whether he knew what was going on and when was power coming back, he shook his head saying, since morning no power, coming back at 5pm. I waited for 2 hours till 5 pm and still no power. I asked him again, he said I don’t know. I said fine, call the reception. He tells me he doesn’t have the number for reception and looks blankly at me. I said, find out and ask. He finds out, calls the reception and still gave me the same answer… I don’t know. It was 40oC outside and I was fuming already. I was at the 12th floor and I had to make him climb down all 12 floors by stairs and get me news on when power will be up because I cant wait any longer. Exhausted and panting after climbing 24 flights of stairs, he came to me and said, power will be up within 1 hour more. I asked him… definite? Or maybe? He didn’t know how to answer and was wanting to go down again and I told him… forget it.

It so hard asking this people to do shit… because they are so fond of using ‘I don’t know’ for an answer which supposedly means, lets’ wait and see. To me, I cant take “I don’t know” for an answer… and whoever works with me and crosses that line… he/ she had better watch it. I really cant tolerate it. therefore, to all Pakistanis… wake up, you are all still in slumberland… partake in your role and make it yours… I am sure somewhere in between, your passion is there. Bring it out and lets make our jobs easier.


Have you ever thought why your country is left so far behind? Think!

No comments: